These include devices providing services for network firewalls, UTMs (Unified Threat Management), VPNs (Virtual Private Network), and anti-spam for email. The company also markets information subscription services related to their products.The company solutions also serve to solve issues surrounding HIPAA and PCI compliance issues.On March 13, 2012, USA Today said that Dell had announced its intent to acquire SonicWall, which then had 130 patents and 950 employees. Dell’s acquisition of SonicWall became official on May 9, 2012. On June 20, 2016, Dell sold SonicWall (part of its Dell Software) to private equity firm Francisco Partners and Elliott Management. SonicWall, originally a private company headquartered in San Jose, California, and Dell subsidiary from 2012 to 2016, sells a range of Internet appliances primarily directed at content control and network security.
This document provides administrators and engineers guidance on some of the common administration practices for SonicWall firewall appliances, which increases the overall security of an end-to end architecture.
- Register the SonicWall Firewall on www.MySonicWall.com to manage:
- Licenses and services
- Test drive new services
- Access to Technical Support
- Access to SonicWall’s knowledge base and support documentation.
- Update your SonicOS firmware to the current latest version to get current features and functions (for normal requirements use current General Release). Review the SonicOS Administrator Guide and the Release note for the latest information.
Note: Careful consideration should be given to validate any of special requirements of each deployment location.
- Backup for disaster and recovery, backup often. Create and save system export (EXP) files and a Tech Support Report (TSR) at each critical stage (before and after any change). Document and label each backup, will make easy to roll back to a good known state.
- Protect Administrator accounts at all cost. Use strong passwords and change often. Limit Administration access to only where it is really needed. Limit who, where, when admin access is granted. Log all admin access will make it easy to audit.
- Use Network Time Protocol (NTP) NTP is a widely used protocol used to synchronize the clocks of routers and other hardware devices on the Internet. If any of the device clocks is wrong, then not only logs and troubleshooting information can be incorrect, but also security policy objects such as schedulers can have unintended results.
Next Generation Firewall – See how you can achieve deeper network security and application control without compromising network performance. Demonstration – Dell SonicWALL SuperMassive, NSA and TZ Series Firewalls w/ centralized management & reporting capabilities
Secure Mobile Access – Learn how to gain simple, secure mobile access to critical data and applications. Demonstration – Dell Secure Mobile Access + SonicWALL Mobile Connect app.
Email Security – Protect your ogranization from spam and ensure secure email exchange . Demonstration – Email Security appliances and software w/ Email Compliance and Encryption Service
Connected Security – Connected Security brings together all those previously isolated security solutions– from embedded security in hardware to data to server to endpoint to user security– and merges their intelligence to create an organic super-unified system. Demonstration – Dell SonicWALL Next-GenerationFirewall + Dell Data Protection | Encryption